Oil Lamp used in Orford Ness Lighthouse up to 1904 when incandescent lamps were installed.
An original Orford Dabchick Sailing Club Member’s brooch. This brooch belonged to Elizabeth (Betty) Russell who was given it before 1937.
Last rocket fired by the Orford Auxiliary Coastguard Station on the 17th August 1984. It was shot into the air during a training session and changed direction, coming back into the watching Auxiliary and making them scatter and run away for safety.
Wooden Little Ship Club sign, possibly Orford’s branch of the club originally started in London as a study group for yachtsment during the winter ‘laid up’ season. c.1930-1960s.
Yacht Compass. In 1910 Eloise Warwick Smith and her husband sailed in a small yacht from London to Burnham-on-Crouch using this compass. She was the first woman to visit Burnham in a small boat and was wearing a long serge skirt which was soaked during a rough passage. On arrival at the Royal Burnham Yacht Club Eloise was not allowed in, even to get dry – instead she had to sit outside, where a hot drink was brought to her! She died in 1992 aged 102. c.1910
Orford Ness Lighthouse Clock used to control the timing mechanism. The lens revolves around the lamp every 15 seconds. Three lenses give what appears as a flash every five seconds.
Scissors used for trimming the wick of the Orford Ness Lighthouse lamp before 1904 when the paraffin lamps were discontinued.
Dutch Gin Bottle found in a gulley at the southern tip of Orford Ness. It was one of a number found between 1995 and 2004. It has been suggested that the bottles were part of the spoils of a customs raid.
Clay Pipe found in the River Ore and encrusted with barnacles 18th-19th century.